Account Director – Sports Partnership
Date Posted: June 22, 2022
Purpose of Job:
The Account Director is responsible for client satisfaction and creative and business achievement of his/her group. The Account Director contributes to the strategic and creative output of the group and to the development of junior staff. The Account Director is fiscally responsible and has a long view on projects/business management.
What we’re looking for:
A seasoned, strategically minded account leader with experience delivering 360-degree campaigns. This person should be well versed in agency process and have some experience in the sports marketing or sports partnership world.
- Manage the overall client relationship. Responsible for creating and maintaining an effective relationship with the client(s) on a day-to-day basis.
- Understand the client’s business and possess the ability to interact independently with senior clients
- Guide the strategic direction of the client’s business and brands
- Willing to dive into the executional work
- Support the development of great creative work at every stage. Ensure approval of briefs prior to jobs going into creative department. Ability to evaluate creative and judge whether it accomplishes the stated goals. Knows good advertising from bad. Have the ability to persuade others and sell ideas. Support the creative team throughout the development process (e.g. sourcing of information, materials, etc.).
- Ensure that Account Management, Media, Strategic Planning, and Creative functions all work effectively in developing cohesive marketing plans and great creative work. Introduce/recommend/support integrated services as appropriate.
- Gain the trust and respect of his/her client counterparts
- Manage the client’s budget effectively. Seek out ways of maximizing value through innovative media/production/creative solutions.
- Lead and/or attend client meetings and ensure that accurate contact reports are issued within 24 hours
- Disseminate information to all team members as appropriate including schedules, cost estimates, market/competitive information, etc.
- Actively seek opportunities to grow existing business. Mines for opportunities for new business.
- Ensure the timely development and execution of plans, campaigns, and projects. Ensure that work is produced in a way that ensures adherence to agreed budgets.
- Support the VP, Group Account Director to ensure that earnings, growth, and profit goals are achieved
- Aim to develop agency revenue. Seek out opportunities to develop revenue through additional responsibilities/projects.
- Support the agency’s efforts at ensuring the financial smooth-running of the business, e.g. updating of timesheets by team, review and approval of JSRs, etc. Ensure client billing queries/issues are resolved promptly and effectively.
- Responsible for the development of his/her staff including the selection, assessment, rotation, and personal growth of team members. Provide frequent coaching. Offer back-up and support for each team member but ensures that they are given an opportunity to “stretch their wings” in a way that benefits their level of experience and ability.
- Does everything necessary to support great creative work, from developing clear and concise strategies to overseeing the best possible execution of the ideas. Earns the trust and respect of creatives. Provide honest, constructive, and timely feedback.
- Take client briefs, brief creative teams, review, work, present work to the client, and manage the production of TV, Print, Collateral, Sponsorship, and Online materials.
Skills and Behaviour:
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to inspire people at all levels to achieve peak performance. Works well with all other departments.
- Knows when to push, and when to pull back
- Excellent communication skills. Must be able to accurately communicate information to and from the client. Must be a good listener. A strong presenter and seller. Ability to handle delicate issues with the client.
- Sufficient experience to independently interact with senior clients and to solve problems or issues that arise at the client or agency
- Ability to develop and implement efficient processes to accomplish objectives
- Strong creative evaluation skills. Ability to judge when creative is on strategy or not, and is able to work with the creatives to strengthen ideas.
- Strong strategic abilities. Ability to independently articulate a clear and actionable strategy that meets objectives. Ability to help others improve their strategic thinking.
- Extremely proactive and thinks ahead. Adds value at every stage – seeks out opportunities for generating revenue, developing relationships, winning new business. Always looking for a better way and the bigger idea.
- Possess a thorough understanding of the production process. Able to support and explain production estimates and schedules for broadcast/online/print/collateral/etc. processes.
- Outstanding organisational abilities. Must be able to juggle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously. Must know how to prioritise workload and meet deadlines.
- Display a level of literacy and numeracy – this should be particularly evident when preparing correspondence, reviewing estimates, etc.
- Someone that their client counts on and can turn to, and whose opinion is valued by the client
- An inspirational coach and leader for the group. Support his/her team in executing the work. Operate in a way that sets a clear and positive example for other members of the team.
- Possess strong project management skills resulting in gaining the complete confidence of client and agency Personnel
- Able to think on their feet and identify solutions
- Think proactively to anticipate client’s marketing problems and develop marketing solutions to resolve. Must be adept at digging beneath the surface to help our clients identify the core problems facing their brand(s).
- Excellent presentation skills including devising meeting flow, identifying roles and responsibilities for presenters, and summarizing agreements/next steps.
Education and Experience:
- 5+ years’ experience
- Thorough understanding of agency process and how to get to best-in-class work
- Background in sports marketing and partnerships or have worked with other brands that are affiliated with major sports leagues
- Traditional, digital, social, XM
Innocean Worldwide Canada is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, inclusion, and teamwork. We encourage all qualified applicants to inquire below. Any disability-related needs will be accommodated throughout the recruitment process.